This is an excellent sauce as a base for spaghetti, lasagne or simply add chickpeas or lentils for a quick easy nutritious meal.
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- teaspoon of garlic
- 1 cup (250ml) fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) dried oregano
- 6 cups (1.5L) tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1ml) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) raw or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) tomato paste
Finely cut onion and cook on medium heat in oil till golden, add garlic and dried oregano. Cook for 2 minutes allow flavours to arise. Add tomato puree, salt, black pepper, sugar and tomato paste. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes allowing tomatoes to gently cook. Add fresh basil and mix well for 5 minutes.